Monday, August 25, 2008

Tuesday, August 19th, 2008 El Istmo

At the invitation of Belen, I dragged my butt out of the hammock at around 5:30am so I could attend seminary, a scripture-study class for high school-aged youth. Even at that early hour the heat was ridiculous, although bearable. The class was held at the local chapel, and we were among the first to arrive. I got to see Bishop Marin, who supervised, but did not teach, the class. As the class got underway the late-comers straggled in, and it was great to see some familiar faces, even if most of them didn't recognize me.
After the class let out at seven Belen went to work, and I walked back to the house, crawled into the hammock, and fell asleep until about 11 am. When I woke up Belen's mom prepared an excellent breakfast. I had planned on taking the bus about half an hour to the town of Tehuantapec, but I ended up spending the day in downtown Juchitan, seeing the sights and doing a bit of shopping-I bought a HUGE hammock to take home.
Before getting back on the bus to Oaxaca, I headed back to Belen's house for lunch with her family. Them I got my pack together and hiked over to the bus terminal. The ride was torturous. I was moderatly carsick the whole time (those curves are killer), and both of the movies played were exceptionally bad. I arrived in Oaxaca City at around ten and took a taxi to the missionaries' house. They were kind enough to let me stay another night instead of having to pay for a hotel room.

No comments: