Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Sunday!

All around, a good day. I slept in til about nine, only to find that the missionaries (at least a couple of them) were still asleep (they're supposed to get up at 6:30). Oh well.
Church services for the Guelagutza ward started at 11 am. I could have taken the bus, but I chose to walk the 15 minutes to the chapel. I didn´t recognize everybody, but I did see a lot of familiar faces, even if they didn't recognize me. I only stayed for the first hour, and it was great to see the people who i had served. After the first hour I took a taxi to another chapel about ten minutes away to attend the services of the La Joya ward. I recognized even fewer people here, and even fewer still recognized me. But I got a very warm welcome from Bishop Raciel, who I was good friends with.
After church ended, I hung around for about half an hour talking with the missionaries before taking off to pay some visits. I had to hike about twenty minutes up the side of the mountains to find the house of the Santiago Ramirez family's house. I only met them once, and had introduced them to the church, but later all but the youngest child were baptized. The parents weren't home, but most of the seven kids were, and I was suprised to find that they remembered me. The next visit was to a member family who I had been friends with. After chatting for a few minutes, we all piled into their car and drove to another member's house. Paco, the old ward mission leader, had gotten married the day before, and the family had invited just about anybody who wanted to come and eat leftovers. Basically a second reception. I got to eat some dang good food, and also catch up with some good friends.
My last stop was to visit a VERY old couple who I had baptized. Celerino, 95 years old, and his wife Isabel, age unkown! (somewhere in her late eighties) Celerino was sleeping, and I wasn't about to wake him up, but Isabel actually recognized me! We couldn't exactly have a conversation because she is mostly deaf, and just talks more to make up for it. Come to think about it, we never actually have had a real conversation.
I decided to call it a day, and headed back down the hill to the highway to take a bus to la central, and from there back to the missionaries' house, where I stayed the night once more.

No comments: