Thursday, August 14, 2008

Monte Alban, hitchhiking, etc


Having been invited by Hermana Hilaria, Stella and I made our way downtown to El Centro this morning for breakfast. We found Hilaria working at her small food stand on the sidewalk just outside of an elementary school. Every morning she is there making memelas to sell. Memelas are small (but thick) corn tortillas topped with beans, cheese, vegetable, meat, etc. We sat on plastic chairs on the sidewalk while Hilaria prepared the meal. The food was delicious, but Hilaria was perhaps a bit to generous-I was hard pressed to finish all six memelas she put on my plate.
After breakfast Stella and parted ways and I made my way to see the ruins of Monte Alban. The ruins are on top of a very large hill in the middle of the valley, and just getting there can be expensive. Since I didn´t want to pay 20 dollars for a five minute car ride (and of course the same to get back), I decided to find another way to get there. I took a bus that serves the neighborhoods on the side of the hill, and when it turned around I got off and started walking. I had only gone about a hundred metersm or so when a car approached me from behind. I stuck out my thumb, the car stopped, I got in, and my new friend Abner gave me a ride the rest of the way. So instead of 20 dollars I paid about 5 cents!
The ruins themselves were fascinating. The entire hill top (a space the size of a few football fields) was levelled by the ancient people who lived there, and there they build many, many pyramids, buildings, and tombs, mostly for religious ceremonies and the observation of the sun and stars. I spent several hours exploring the grounds, climbing on pyramids, and taking pictures. At the back of the property, behind one of the big pyramids, was a small trail that led down the hill. I decided to follow it. It led across the ridge of the hill and past several small hills that, upon closer inspection, turned out to be small pyramids or buildings that have yet to be excavated. I also found a small marker designating "Monte Alban Tomb 50." The only thing I saw was a few rocks on the ground.
I left Monte Alban on foot with the intent to hitchhike back to town. Once again the first car that passed picked me up. I spent what was left of the afternoon in an internet cafe, buying a new white shirt, tie, and pants, and I attended the 7 pm session at the Oaxaca Temple. On my way back to the Che´s house I stopped by the missionaries house where I had lived when I was in the Guelaguetza Ward. I spent a good hour and a half, maybe more, talking with the 6 missionaries that live there. It turns out that two of them were my "grandchildren." That is, I trained the missionaries that had trained them. They even let me use their shower. (There is always a water shortage in Oaxaca, I hadn´t bathed in too many days. But you didn´t need to know that.) I finally arrived at the Che residence at about 11pm to find a very worried family. Apparently 11 is incredibly late in Oaxaca.

2 comments:

Rachel Adventure said...

I love this; I feel like I just picked up a book. In the mean time, please beware the shady-all-to-willing-hitch-hicker-picker-upers.

Jennifer said...

This blog is addicting. I agree with the other comment it is like we are reading chapters in an adventure book. I try and imagine what you are describing in a world so different than ours yet so close. I couldn't stop reading after just one entry. If you have a camera it would be cool to include pictures after your adventure is finished we could see if the image in our head matches up. Keep it up the interesting and whimsical updates.
Jennifer