Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Old Friends

Tuesday, August 12. My second day in Oaxaca
After a breakfast of two more tortas de quesillo, Stella, sister Che, and I drove about 10 minutes to visit Brenda, the Che's oldest daughter who had just returned from serving a mission herself when I was in Oaxaca. Now she is married and has a year old baby boy. As most of the Che family don't know how to drive, their Dodge Stratus usually sits un-used on the street. So I was the driver. I had never driven as a missionary, but I knew how most people drive in Oaxaca. So I was a little nervous. After seeing more insanely dangerous maneouvers in 10 minutes than in the rest of my life, I fell into the mindset of "If everyone else is going to drive like locos, then so am I!" When in Rome, right?
After seeing Brenda and her kid, I drove with Stella, who also just got back from her mission a week ago, and who I a pretty sure has a huge crush on me, to find an internet cafe. We were invited to eat lunch with the owner of the cafe, who also happened to be a member of the church. This particular member (an old lady who´s name escapes me) had introduced us to one of her renters named Hilaria, and her two teenage kids, claudia and Jesus. We (the missionaries) taught all three of them and all three of them had been baptized. Unfortunatly they no longer rented there, but did live quite close, we were told. We managed to find the place and were well recieved by Hermana Hilaria and Claudia. We had a pleasant visit, and were invited to breakfast the next morning. We happily accepted.
From there I dropped of Stella and, quite relieved to be on my own, drove to visit the Barragan family. Once again, a great visit and an invitation to return, this time to stay the night if I needed.
For dinner I found a taqueria I remembered and feasted on a huge plate of tacos al pastor, made even tastier knowing that it was two for one night and I was paying about twenty cents per taco!
I made it to the Che´s house at twilight and took a short hike to the top the the hill they live on before ending the day with a terrible movie called Fragile.

No comments: